Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 recipe vanilla cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 (8 oz.) package (block) cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon Curd (for filling, optional)
- Make vanilla cupcakes and let them cool completely.
- Cut out a cone shaped hole at the top of the cupcake and fill with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon curd.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter (while still cool) until smooth.
- Add (cold) cream cheese and continue to beat until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add powder sugar, one cup at a time, while the mixer is running.
- Continue mixing and add lemon zest, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Mix an additional 30 seconds, until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.